Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 5

It 'twas a great week! As I will note below, I spent time at our hobby farm in Mankato. My writing desk is next to a couple of beautiful picture windows. When I look up as rest my eyes I see the beautiful open and snowy prairies that are our farm. As I write, I feel like the most privileged person in the world. I will post pictures soon.

So how am I doing on my 5Rs: Rest, Recreation, Research, 'Rriting and Reading?
Reading: I started a new book, Buzz by Katherine Ellison. It is a memoir about a mom (Katherine) and her son’s journey to understand their own ADD, and in the case of her son, OD. Fascinating read. Loads of interesting reviews about the neurologic, medical and psychological aspects of these two maladies. Katherine Ellison is a Pulitzer Prize winning writer and it show’s. My interest in this book are twofold: I have a daughter with ADD and two I am an educator and want to understand how to support complicated individuals like Buzz in the classroom. A compelling read.

Writing: This week I moved all my writing to our hobby farm in Mankato. I spent three full days immersed in writing. The paper I am presenting is about half done. Tomorrow I meet with my student (we will present this paper together). Today: discussion section.

Recreation: I started ice skating. I blogged about moving my fear aside to be on the ice. I have wobbly legs, but, I am stretching myself.

Rest: Long walks and a couple of movies.

TTFN, Michele

2 comments:

  1. Why writing at the farm vs. the city?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post. As you described the view from your window I could feel the peace, beauty, and solitude. Sometimes that's just what we need in our lives, and we have to change locations to find it. Bravo for you and the ice skating adventure.

    ReplyDelete