Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Unto week Seven!

I passed six complete weeks of sabbatical on Monday. As I get deeper into my leave, I find myself thinking the weeks are just slipping by and I have not done enough or I haven’t been as productive as I think I should be or have been. But, actually I have been quite productive. Here is how I stack up with my five goals: “Writing:” I wrote two new papers. Yes, they are still in draft form and there is plenty of revision to, do. But, they are both conference worthy. One was already presented, the other one in early April. Reading: I have read several books, including just yesterday the slim volume of Michael Pollan’s “Food Rules.” Research: Yesterday, I started planning a new phase of research with some teachers. I am starting some math work with one of my own little grandbabies around number sense. I don’t do enough research in math, so this is a promising prospect. Recreation: I increased my walking so I am now in the 5-6 miles a day range. Went on vacation for over a week. Rest: I am getting plenty of sleep. Now that I walk more, I am finding I sleep longer and better. I actually feel well rested. But, I do not measure rest by just sleeping habits, but by other indicators, like reading the paper, hanging out with my kids or the grandbabies, or even seeing movies. Rest to me is resting from work types of activities. Making time to do other things that make your life enjoyable. So, what gives with these thoughts about not being productive enough?

Well, I have had an “aha”: my expectations are too high, still. I need to strike a balance between being “productive” and enjoying this time “off.” I think it is time for me to read the second part of that focus book: Focus: A simplicity manifesto in the age of distraction. But there is more: I am finding that everything I do takes longer than I think it will. I am a chronic underestimator. I want to set realistic goals for what I hope to accomplish; what I can manage within the time frame that I would like to expend. Can I strike a balance here? That remains to be seen. So, to the mattresses to read what others say about time management, focus and goal setting.

TTFN and thanks for reading, Michele

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry too much about accomplishing everything on your list so soon. You are making progress with all items, so just enjoy the time away from "real" work (sorry) to enjoy doing the things you have always wanted to do. Especially the grandchildren - they will only be babies once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think the time would FLY by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would take me at least six weeks to realize I wasn't still working! There are still 45 weeks left...and it sounds like you'll be making the most of them. Good luck with "balancing" productivity and fun. You're blessed to have children and grandchildren Imagine if you didn't have any for just a moment. Does that help with establishing priorities and goals? (Sadly, I have no children.)

    Have fun - without guilt - and I bet you'll find yourself getting even more accomplished than you originally thought possible.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete