Friday, March 1, 2019

So much that I am still figuring out

March 1, 2019
It feels sometimes  like a slap across the face how much I really don't know about a lot of things, especially involving race and racism. I am a white woman in a society that values whiteness over diversity. Yes, things have changed significantly, but racism still is a challenge faced by many, many fellow Americans. I have spent a great deal of time over my sabbatical this year reading with one of my goals being to read more about experiences of non-white people. The latest book I've read is Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. This book was on my list of reads for a really long time. The author is descriptive and at times with heart wrenching detail challenges facing Africans who live in America. It is also a tender story of love along with race and of course identity as well.  I agree with the author when she speaks about whites who say racism is over.  On page 429 there is an excerpt from a "blog" that is targeted to whites: "race is it really exist for you because it has never been a barrier. Black folks don't have that choice."  Racism is not over in fact I don't know really if it ever will be. I felt so white and privileged when I read this book and so out of touch with so many people who face difficulties every day. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michele, I read about you struggle long ago but the life got in the way.Now with time on my hands was looking at some very old post of min to recycle and there you were with a comment on my nature/book review blog. so Hi! Ray

    ReplyDelete