Sunday, May 13, 2012

Letter to self


Dear Michele,
I want to tell you how proud I am of how far you have come in your getting healthy journey. It is almost two years and you are still hard at it. Even when the scale is not moving, you continue. I am constantly amazed at your determination, perseverance, dedication, and stick-to-it-ness that you model for the rest of us slackers. I know that this is “it” for you and you make me proud.

I know that one of the reason you began your healthy living and life style changes was because of your own familial history of diabetes and heart disease.  From your last lab results, I know that you are skirting for now, and hopefully, forever these two debilitating diseases that strike many who are overweight and obese. 

I know, too, that you have found your exercise of choice: cycling. Many folks who read your blog do not know that you have ridden a bike since you were four and even rode it on the day you gave birth to twins (!!) many years ago now. You have gone beyond biking and are an aspiring amateur cyclist. I know you have worked hard to increase your stamina and endurance. Completing that 45-mile rode yesterday is evidence that it is working.

You are on a roll. Despite a sluggish metabolism, I have witnessed you say “no” to foods that you like almost daily. I was SHOCKED when you graciously accepted that luxurious piece of chocolate cake at the last department meeting and then left it untouched. Wow, what will power is that!!! You show us every day in small ways that this can be done and how to do it.

But there is more: during your sabbatical you spent time and energy figuring out how to lead a more balanced life. I can see those efforts have continued since you have been back to teaching and the life of the academic.  By maintaining a more balanced life, you are making time for the other parts of life that you enjoy, including your hubby and family. By maintaining a more balanced life, you are able to make exercise a part of each and every day. By maintaining a more balanced life, you are reading books rather than putting them off. By maintaining a more balanced life, you are enjoying the natural world more by spending more time outdoors. By maintaining a more balanced life, you are more gracious to your own students and friends. 

You are learning what it takes to balance a life of work and professional development, family, varied interests and keep moving forward in terms of your own health and fitness. There simply are no excuses anymore of why you can not gets healthy: you are just doing it!

Finally, I know that you understand that what you are doing is for life. Yep, it will take you at least another year to meet your weight loss goals, but that will not diminish your efforts. What you are doing is for your life. It is not a diet it is a way of life. You have embraced that life with open arms. I love you for that. Stay strong as you move forward!

Much Love,
Me


 

2 comments:

  1. This, my friend, was beautiful.
    Look at how far you have come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you can see, I am catching up on reading blogs (it's late afternoon on my first day back at work). I love this letter to yourself. Have you ever written a letter to your future self, sealed it, and then opened it on that later date (a year away is a good timeline). Love you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete